So I know it’s officially Fall, and I should be overloading you with pumpkin spice shit but I refuse.
Instead, we are going to talk about my favorite adult beverage. Let’s keep summer going a little longer with this delicious and
healthy easy Red Wine Sangria recipe. (Especially since it is still in the 90’s here. And I am having trouble feeling Fall-ish when we went to the pool today and sweated.)
This yummy recipe came my way as a thoughtful gift from my mother and sister in law. After our honeymoon 5 years ago, they kindly filled our fridge with food and drinks upon our return. After 7 days in paradise, a fridge full of already cooked food was a welcomed surprise as we re-entered regular life!
Every day that week, when I returned home from a long day in the classroom teaching, I would pour myself a refreshing glass of red wine sangria. This was to ease the pain of returning to work and real life.
Subconsciously, it was to pretend I was still on island time. If you drink sangria with your eyes closed you can hear the ocean and feel the sunshine. Or so I’m told.
Sangria, A Beverage for your Health?
The health benefits were obvious. It included red wine and fresh fruit, so I felt good about this afternoon snack choice. And when I topped it off with seltzer water I also got some of my water in for the day! What could make you feel better about drinking an alcoholic drink? Nothing I tell you!
So as I was sitting on the edge of the pool this morning with my beautiful family and all I could think about was having a
pitcher glass of this loveliness in my hand. Or any cold, pool appropriate beverage for that matter!
As you mothers know, going to the pool with a baby and toddler is not the same as being poolside at a beach resort with red wine sangria in hand!
So cheers to your health! Go pour yourself a glass of delicious Red Wine Sangria! and don’t forget the berries, for the health benefits of course!
Easy Red Wine Sangria with Berries
Now that I have you dreaming about a poolside beverage, what is your drink of choice?
I know you have one!
- 750 ml Dry Red Wine (I use cabernet sauvignon)
- 1 Container Frozen Limeade Concentrate
- 1-2 Ounces Blackberry Brandy (I use much, much more)
- Fresh berries (can substitute frozen but let thaw ahead of time)
- Lemon slices
- Lime slices
- Seltzer water (optional)
- Pineapple (optional)
- Take limeade out of the freezer to defrost.
- Wash the berries.
- Cut half a lemon and lime into thin slices.
- Place berries in a pitcher.
- Pour in the brandy and soak the berries in the brandy for an hour or more. (You are macerating the berries to bring out their flavor and soak up the yummy brandy.)
- Pour bottle of wine in the pitcher, add the lemon slices, lime slices, and limeade.
- Give it a good stir!
- The best part about sangria is that you can drink it for a few days as it stays well in the fridge!
- Pour some ice in a glass and add some of the fruit and sangria to the glass.
- To cut some of the sweetness add seltzer water.
- Then drink it as fast as you can so you can have seconds before anyone finishes their glass!